The F-84G is a close relative and the predecessor of the F-84F that can also be seen in our collection. It is a first-generation jet fighter with straight wings, largely similar to Second World War piston-engined fighters. The first prototype made its maiden flight on the 18th of February 1946.
The aircraft was deemed stable and reliable by its pilots, but the first combat experiences in the Korean War also revealed that it was no match for more modern fighters such as the Soviet MiG- 15. It was relegated to ground attack missions in which it performed satisfactorily. The last F-84Gs were used by the Portuguese in Mozambique and Angola until 1975.
France took delivery of 316 F-84Gs in 1951 that equipped up to 15 squadrons, including the famous Patrouille de France aerobatics team. They were serviced by SNCASE at Toulouse, one of the predecessors of Airbus, and finally replaced in 1957 by F-84Fs.
|Empty weight||5 t|
|Maximum take off weight||10,68 t|
|Range||1 600 km|
|Engine||1 Allison J33-A-29|
The displayed aircraft is a composite airframe. We received the fuselage from the air base at Bourges in 1982, and recovered the wings from the firing range at Cazaux the same year. The restoration of the aircraft (often rather a reconstruction) is the most complex restoration ever undertaken by the Ailes Anciennes until now and took more than 20 years.